Trinity German Baptist Church

01/04/2015 18 images Share: , , Album RSS
View Slideshow
The First German Baptist Church was built in 1869. It was the 4th Baptist church in Buffalo, and the 3rd German Baptist church in the country. Recognizing the social importance of the place of worship, they constructed their building in a manner common to most German places of worship of the day. The actual auditorium was raised above street level, allowing for community and classroom space to be located on the lower level. Constructed at a cost of $14,000, they dedicated their new building on 6 February 1870. (

The current owners, Trinity Baptist Church, have owned the building since 1940 according to Erie County Property records. As of 2013, the church claims they plan to demolish the building due to structural reports claiming it is beyond repair. The City confirmed that demolition permits have been acquired, but the Church has not yet raised the funds to begin demolition. The Church will not consider selling the building. (

After continued collapses of parts of the building, the church was demolished in August 2016.

No Comments

Add a comment:

*Required fields

Subscribe to comments RSS Feed