Built in 1928 the Ambassador Apartments featured the best amenities and thus catered to the high society of Gary Indiana. Designed by architect William Stern, the apartments were built to house Gary's growing population due to the steel industry, in particular the management of US Steel. The building fell into decline as the city declined through the 60s and 70s. The apartments were converted into low income housing in the early 70s and maintenance suffered, leading to the building being condemned and abandoned in 1985. A plan to rehab and reopen the building as apartments and retail space was created in 1995 at an estimated cost of $4.7 million, which increased to $5.5 million. Internal demolition did actually begin before expected funding did not materialize and the project was stalled. Gary looked for funds to demolish the structure through out the 2000s, and demolition finally began in 2015, at a cost of about $1 million. A new $8 million building featuring 44 apartments is planned to be built on the property.